Saturday 3 July 2010

Prom Night

I had my Year 12 prom a few weeks ago on June 23rd 2010 and i have to say i totally underestimated it's awesomeness because it totally rocked!


"Me + those Indonesians i talk about later on..."

This was actually my second prom and the reason for that is because my school being the oddest school there is in Qatar decided to give the students a prom in Year 11, a prom in Year 12 and a prom in Year 13. I know, weird. I think it's because a long time ago, the highest possible class available was Year 11 and so the prom was set to be for that year but then a Year 12 was developed so a prom was put into that year and then a Year 13 was made and so a prom was thrown into that year group too. Honestly, i don't think the girls mind so much because most of them seem to want the perfect prom and so get three chances to make it right or live out three different prom fantasies they always wanted.



"Last year's prom's dance floor..."


Being my second prom, i was unsure of whether it would be a success or not because the previous one's decorations, music, dancing and food were all mediocre. However, i have to give props to the Prom Committee for managing to get futuristic looking decorations and lighting. It was all very Black Eyed Peas, The E.N.D-Boom Boom Pow-Imma Be type :)


"Good album. good album :)"


The food was bordering on terrible but no one really ate anything since the Prom Committee also snagged them selves some Iranian DJ who cranked out some really sweet tunes that had people jumping, sweaty and dirty dancing in no time. (PS: that was definitely all the guys favorite part of the night :)). It was really cool of the DJ to mix some hard metal tunes from Guns n' Roses and turn it into a dance floor jam but also very funny when the plug fused for the speakers cord due to overloading voltage. It was shocking to see a massive spark pop out and set fire to the surrounding cloth but hilarious to see that the DJ simply stared at it like that kind of stuff happened all the time with him.




"More Asian people..."

I suppose i should comment on the turn out and attitude of the people through out the evening. Maybe 25% of the people from last year's prom didn't show up though that was mainly because this year there was a price of 75QR set for the ticket which was pretty useless since most of the Prom Committee was absent in the beginning of prom doing things together in their limo which my mind only lets me think are dirty. This meant a ton of random Arabic guys randomly walked in without anyone bitching or complaining about it. It was sad but not unexpected to see that all the graduating Year 13's sat at one corner of the hall whilst the rest of the hall was taken by Year 12's though the either dumped or dateless Indonesian girls sat huddled at one table whilst the ones with dates sat at another. I was in one of the remaining tables with my friends and other people who just sat in any particular way without much of a fuss and laughed and joked about who to vote for Prom King and Queen. It was also nice to see many people who didn't dance before grace the dance floor with their surprising presence and sometimes awkward dancing.
The amount of dirty dancing was unbelievable and hilarious at the same time. I felt all cool and grown up on the floor busting out a few later labeled "Michael Jackson Moves" to "Shots" by LMFAO ft. Lil' John. I guess it was just in the air at that time. For some weird reason, all that PG 18 dancing reminded me of all those times me, a couple of guys and a bunch of girls used to play Extreme Truth or Dare. Or more specifically, the seriously excessive amount of dirty same sex dares being done.



"The Year 13's kidding around..."



"The Prom King and Queen of 2010"





"These three awesome people featured heavily in the dancing..."


It felt nice to brave the camera lenses for prom behind the comfort of the suit and the amount of people asking to take pictures with the "tall guy". It was my shining narcissistic moment though most of the pictures never made it to Facebook. Guess the picture takers didn't like my lack of photogenic-ness.
"My iconic narcissistic moment..."

Heard that a couple of the guys and girls were headed off to town to drink and i actually felt glad that i didn't go because i didn't want to have that whole 40 day burden on me which meant i couldn't pray for better exam results for that time. Even though I'm sure I've been telling everyone that i didn't go because i had personal morals to maintain but I'm pretty sure i have next to none :S


Well that was about all that happened in Prom 2010. I think everyone unanimously agreed that this was the best prom yet. Though i now feel kind of sad that Karin Gunatilake, another fine friend didn't get to have the best, last prom of her Qatar years :(. I hope Sri Lanka rocks her pants off i guess (though not literally of course. that privilege is only betrothed to Alex Pettyfer only).

Oh and I've linked "Shots" by LMFAO ft. Lil John only because it appeared to be the highlight of the evening :)



Till next time. Ciao.





No comments:

Post a Comment